vendredi 29 janvier 2016

The Danish Girl

The Danish Girl

(Disclaimer : This review contains spoilers and should be read after watching the movie.)

Hi everybody, Mary here.

So, I just watched The Danish Girl, a movie made by Tom Hooper, featuring Eddie Redmayne as Lili Elbe, the very first transgender woman to get surgery.

This is, basically, a movie about her, discovering her transgender identity, while she had been married with her wife for six years. There is, obviously, all the stigma (since we're in the 1920s here) about transgender people, who were called "crazy", "psychotic", "homosexuals" (basically, they thought that they would do it because they wanted to have gay sex while "pretenting" to be "the opposite gender", I guess ?), and when you're not called like this by actual, professional doctors, you get called names in the streets, with slurs like "f*g" or stuff like those terms.

We also have a little grasp (and I'm very sorry if I get that aspect wrong ! I am not trans and therefore I don't have any experience on the matter, nor I claim to have, because this isn't my experience and my opinion should be weighed and judged accordingly !) on body dysphoria, Lili being basically repulsed by her own body, saying it's "not her body", and wanting to be "a real woman" and have children, when really, she was a real woman, no matter her sex, and the ignorance and blatant transphobia made it even worse.

This is, basically, showing all the negative aspects of having a transphobic society, and I believe that even today, things like this haven't changed very much. Trans rights are far behind gay rights and I read somewhere (sorry, I don't remember where), they are approximately 30 years behind.

Even with equal rights, I believe that equality won't be reached until mentalities are changed in order to have everyone portrayed, everywhere in society, as equal and normal as anyone else. I really appreciated, in this movie, the heartwarming process of Lili's wife, Greta, slowly accepting that her "husband" is no more, and that she loved a woman all along. Until the very end and her wife's transition, followed by her, sadly, demise, she stayed supportive, and kept drawing her even after her death, showing her love and respect for Lily and who she really was.

The fact that this woman is revered in the trans community shows the fights, not only for equal rights, but also, just to be seen as normal. It reminds me (well, it's different, but it's somehow related because queerphobia and ignorance) about how, even in France (a country in which gay marriage is legal), some people, my age, still believe that being gay is a mental disease, that it should be treated in a mental hospital, and that it's "unnatural" to be gay, which made me feel extremely sh*tty and terrified afterwards, for the rest of the day (This is actually true !!! It was a guy talking to me about gay marriage during our English class about how he was against gay marriage. I tried to convince him but the only argument he had on his side was "ew gays are gross they are unnatural and mentally deranged and disgusting". A lost cause, really !!!).

And most of the time, people are being hateful not because they are assh*les who want to be queerphobic. It's just ignorance, and people need to be educated on that from a very young age, since not only it would make LGBTQ+ kids safer,valuated and understood, finding themselves and loving themselves for who they really are, but also for cis-straight kids to understand them and see them as they truly are, with no judgment whatsoever.

Anyways, a great movie, very dramatic but it shows the process of discovering your true self, coming out, and the reaction afterwards. Sadly, besides the fact that being gay or transgender isn't officially a "mental disorder" anymore, the reactions, as of today, wouldn't be much different.

And that f*cking breaks my heart.

Okay, that's it for today ! I really hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you very soon with a new one !

And as usual, our last word : KIDNEYS !!!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire