vendredi 8 janvier 2016

About being grateful

About being grateful

Hi everybody, Mary here.

So, since the holiday season has now ended, it's time for me to talk about something that I seriously do NOT understand.

I'm obviously talking about all the people who are selling their Christmas presents online to get rid of them, and then, they never tell the person who gave them said gift what happened, or if they are a little nasty b*tch, they'll straight up tell them  that their gift was utter sh*t and that they couldn't keep it with them.

And while I believe that if you want to avoid that kind of deception under the Christmas tree, they should ask for money they can spend, or a gift card for their favourite shop, or give them a couple ideas of things they might like, it also reminded me of something else.

That's right, kids : I'm gonna talk about gratitude.

Because you see, when someone gives you a gift, they believed that you'd like it. They may have thought about what you wear, what you listen, what you watch, basically, what you like, before buying you something. And even if they give you a very small present, the simple thought of them thinking about you and giving you a present is enough.

Last year, on Christmas 2014, at uni, we had Secret Santa (like in 2013). In 2013, I had the name of someone I didn't know, and I bought them food. They loved it. My Secret Santa gave me a pair of cozy warm slippers. I still wear them and I love them. Last year, I got my former roommate and I knew she liked scented candles, so that's what I bought her. She told me during the rest of the year about how much she loved those and she hadn't started using them to keep the scent as long as possible. And I was the cutest thing EVER. Like, she was thanking me a lot, and that little gesture of kindness made me so much happier and more confident while trying to talk to people in my class.

Our Secret Santa was about giving small presents to each other, even if we didn't know each other, and we wanted the gift to be the best for all of us. And right before the semester finals, it was very nice to have something nice to reminds us of home before the holidays.

That's why, when I see someone selling their gifts online, it breaks my heart. I would never do that, even with the silliest gifts I've received, like books I've never read (maybe I should read them, after all). Because the gift in itself isn't the most important thing, it is the meaning of it (in this example, my love for books).

I also hate very much those people who brag off all of their gifts in my face and who are spoiled little pieces of sh*t (that really needed to be said) who literally receive dozens of gifts each year. Like, I get it, you have loads of family and I don't. You have friends and I don't. Your parents love spoiling you and mine don't. But that doesn't mean that I'm not enjoying Christmas as much as you do.

And to those who complain about "not receiving enough this year" : BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. My little brother and I only receive 50 euros each for Christmas by our mom. My biggest gift ever was my I-Pad Mini for my 18th birthday. Do I complain about not receiving as much as all the other kids around me ? No, because I know that these gifts have a meaning and a value that no one else will ever understand, and I know the sacrifices that others make in order for me to recieve such things as gifts. Heck, even 50 euros IS a lot of money for many people, more than you think !

(especially when you're handed 50 euros each by a friend of my mom and grandma who's already very old and living in poverty. like, she has nothing, and yet, she sacrifices the little money she can keep for us ? this is such an amazing thing, she didn't have to do this, and we keep telling her constantly that she should keep that money for herself and that we don't need it, and yet, she knows about how we don't have family or friends and she tries to make us as happy as possible. when you recieve the only savings of an old woman will you understand how prized your gifts should be.)

Anyways, I really hope you understand that when someone gives you a present, you should be thankful for it.

Alright, this is it for now, I really hope you enjoyed this little post and I'll see you very soon with a new one.

And as usual, our last word : KIDNEYS !

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire