lundi 14 septembre 2015

My song was stolen

My song was stolen

Or “I had a song with my dad but he doesn't know the true meaning of why we were listening to it on repeat in the car”

Hi everybody, Mary here.

So, here's a little more personal story that I wanted to get out there, because I wanted to vent. I am going to be pretty open about the fact that my parents divorced when I was only two years old and that I had a pretty hectic relationship with my dad until the age of twelve when I stopped seeing him altogether.

But here's a little story about us that I wanted to share today. When I was a kid, my dad and I used to listen to this song called J'ai demandé à la lune from the French rock band Indochine, when we would go back from his house to my mother's one, in his car. I don't really think my father understood why. Maybe he just thought it was a nice song to listen to. And he must be really dumb to think that way because the song is in French and we are too. Because even if I was just a kid (I think I gave myself the meaning of the lyrics when I was eight or nine so it means a lot), I really wanted to get my message through this song.
(here is the link if you want to watch the clip)

So, this song is the story of a man who's alone, hurt and who is searching for help. The moon, according to him, is laughing at him and telling him that no one will help him. But he says things along the lines of “me and you, we'll get it through, we'll see the end of the tunnel one day, it's just a little adventure, we have to carry on”. And then you see that he has a baby in his hands. That's the first part. The second part is the now-father and his daughter singing together the same verse from the first part... you know what I mean, “it's just a little problem, but we'll see the light one day”.

But the most important part is the bridge when the girl is growing up and here's my translation of the lyrics :
I don't have much to tell you
Or much to make you laugh
Because I always imagine the worst
And the best makes me suffer”.

(yes it doesn't rhyme anymore now that it's in English but it rhymes in French I can assure you.)

So, to me, the singer was my dad and I was the little girl. I wanted to tell my father that no matter what was happening between us, it was okay and I wanted things to get better in life, as we were having problems and I was seeing a psychologist between the ages of six/eight and fourteen, for that and other problems that were going on in my life at the time. I also wanted to hear that from my father, that he could make everything okay, that he always loved me no matter what and that he would never give up on me. (p.s. : it never happened and that's why I don't see him anymore.)
p.s. : another great lyric is at the beginning of the second verse, where it says “i asked to the moon/if you still wanted me”. Me asking my dad if he still wants me or hearing that from him ? Guess we'll never know...

But I guess my dad never understood that.

And now, not only my two little sisters are the ones singing along with my dad on repeat in his car without even knowing why, but it's also a version where the lyrics in the bridge (so the MOST IMPORTANT LYRICS EVER IN MY OPINION) have been cut. And EVEN MY OWN DAD DOESN'T KNOW why he's still singing that song.

Conclusion : it was my song and I was singing along to it and now you only have people who don't know why they are singing it that are doing it. Seriously, when it happened (my little sisters + my dad singing along to the song), I couldn't even move my lips, but I wanted to turn the radio off, or just cry and yell at them THIS IS MY SONG!!! HOW DARE YOU SING IT!!! IT WAS MINE AND HERE'S THE MEANING!!! SO SHUT THE F*CK UP NOW!!!

But I didn't do any of that stuff. Guess I should tell him about my interpretation of the song... don't you think ?

Okay, that's it for today ! I hope that you enjoyed this post and I will see you very soon with another one !


And as usual, our last word : KIDNEYS !

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire