mercredi 14 septembre 2016

Reclaiming Transgender ?

Reclaiming Transgender ?

Hi everybody, Mary here.

As you've probably noticed by now, my gender has changed a lot and you've probably followed me during my gender exploration... and currently, I identify as non-binary, and bigender (demiboy/demigirl, he/she/they pronouns please).

Now, this is a debate I've seen a lot on social media when it comes to transgender people and non-binary people, and about whether non-binary people can reclaim the word "transgender" for themselves despite not being "binary trans".

(By the way, technically all non-binary people fall under the transgender umbrella, because they're not cisgender and they have all the rights to reclaim the word transgender if they feel like it. There is no consensus on non-binary people choosing to reclaim the word transgender or not and while some people want to reclaim that word, others don't, and whether they want to reclaim it or not, they're valid as non-binary people who are not cisgender and their gender is perfectly valid.)

Now, the only thing I don't really like about this debate is that it's too polarised in my opinion : and there's a divide now. I've seen a video about it recently about the "trans/cis binary" replacing slowly the "male/female" binary even in LGBTQ+ circles and I'm aware that non-binary people don't necessarily like being assigned to "leaning towards one binary" at all. (I'm one of these people.)

However, I don't really like the "medical" implications of the word "transgender". It feels like people are redeemed "trans enough" based on how well you follow gender roles just to be respected as your actual gender, and how cis people can be respected as their actual gender now matter how they present because of cisnormativity.

I really don't like when other non-binary people, especially YouTubers who are vocal about their non-binariness, are called transtrenders, sometimes even by binary trans people themselves, and how harmful it is for all of us.

I really don't like seeing my gender validated by whether I want to transition or not, whether I want hormones or surgery or not (because to be honest, I don't want either of those), and I'm also tired of seeing people being called "lazy" because they don't want to change their name. (because I don't see myself changing my name in the future tbh.)

Also I feel less and less connected to my gender because of that, and I feel like I could never be trans because I am redeemed "lazy" and "a transtrender" by many people who have called other non-binary people like myself this term. I feel like I just can't be myself, that I just have to "conform" to my assigned gender at birth, and that I will never know anything else. And I am so frustrated with this bullshit to be honest.

Anyways, it's a very hard process for me to reclaim this "transgender" word, and for now, I am still uncomfortable with it. I know I am tired of thinking I am not "trans enough" but fuck it tbh. I am me and no one can change that. :)

Okay that's it for today, I really hope you enjoyed this post and I will see you soon with a new one !

And as usual, our last word : KIDNEYS !

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire